NINE TAKES THREE, LOSES ONE, TIES ONE ON SOUTHERN TRIP

Marines and Columbia Only Opponents to Check Harvard Onslaught-Cold Weather Prevents Two Games

A record of three victories, one defeat, and one tie was hung up by the Crimson baseball forces in their initial week of action. Cold weather caused the cancellation of the games with Boston University which was scheduled to usher in the season, and with Georgetown on the Southern trip. William and Mary, Richmond, and Catholic University were the victims of the Harvard singers while the Quantico Marines repeated their 1928 performance by handing Coach Mitchell's charges their first setback of the season. The game with Columbia on Saturday was called at the end of the ninth frame with the count deadlocked 1 to 1 when it was decided that the freezing conditions were unfavorable to a further continuation of the battle.

William and Mary Swamped

The initial contest was won from William and Mary by a score of 14 to 5. Frequent errors on the part of the Virginians aided the Harvard batters while Howard Whitmore '29 held the home team in check throughout. The slugging of B. H. Ticknor '31 who slammed out a double and a home run featured.

Richmond was the next nine to go down before the Crimson offense, losing by an 8 to 2 count. R. R. Ketchum 29 let the opposition down with five hits, while E. H. McGrath '31 led at bat with three safe blows out of five times up.

Quantico Marines Land in Force

The next day the Crimson met the strong Quantico Marine outfit and lost by a 6 to 3 score in a seven inning contest. The Southerners bunched their hits well off W. H. MacHale '31 and won a clean-cut victory. Ticknor knocked his second circuit clout of the trip in the seventh inning, with Kidd the Marines star twirler on the mound.

After calling off the Georgetown game, the Crimson forces resumed their winning stride by defeating Catholic University 9 to 3. The Washingtonians were unable to solve the offerings of E. A. Colpak '29, while the Harvard batters, led by J. A. Prior '29 with five safeties out of as many trips to the plate, were piling up a substantial lead.

Whitmore Fans 13 Lions

Moving northward Coach Mitchell's nine engaged Columbia in New York on Saturday. The contest developed into a pitchers duel between Whitmore am Ozerny of the Lions. The former allowed four hits and struck out 13 while the latter let the Harvard nine down with three safeties and fanned ten. Harvard's run was accounted for by T. W. Gilligan '31, when he hit for the circuit in the fifth inning.

Coach Mitchell started the same in field, Prior at first, F. F. Nugent '29 a second. McGrath at short, and E. G. Douaghy '29 at third in every encounter, and the outfield combination was altered but slightly throughout the trip B. B. Barrett '31 and Tickner were fixtures in center and left field respectively, with E. R. Todd '29 and Gilligan alternating in the remaining outer berth. J. D. Dudley '31 was behind the bat, occasionally relieved by S. L. Batchelder '31.

The team batted for the high early-season average of 253, with Prior who garnered a 444 average, the leading individual slugger.