SAMBORSKI OUTLINES RULES OF SPEEDBALL

GAME PLAYED WITH FOUR TEN-MINUTE QUARTERS

Combining the fundamental elements of football, basketball, and soccer, a new game, speedball, is being added to the University's intramural sports this spring in an effort to offer a fast, open game attractive to men who are not interested in the more intricate sports which require arduous training.

Practice will be held on Soldiers Field every afternoon at 3 o'clock, when J. S. Malick 2G.B. and G. B. Wilson 2G.B. will be on hand to coach all candidates. Any member of the University may come out: and Freshmen may count participation in it as fulfilling their exercise requirements.

According to A. W. Samborski '25, director of intramural athletics, the game is easy to learn. It consists of four ten-minute quarters and is played on a field of the same size as a regular gridiron.

The game begins with a kick from mid-field. After this the ball is played with either the hands or the feet: if it has been raised directly from the kick, it is a "fly ball" and may be played with the hands; but as soon as it strikes the ground it is played as in soccer. There is no tackling or interference.

There are three methods of scoring. A kick under the cross bar of the goal posts nets three points; a forward pass completed in the end zone, two points; and a drop kick over the cross bar, one point. By these different ratings, the significance of the kicking and passing elements is made more equal.

The game was originated at the University of Michigan. It was successful in its first year there and has grown more popular every season. From Michigan it spread rapidly throughout the Middle West and to the coast. It has been adopted in many Eastern schools, but this is the first time it has been sponsored by an Eastern college.