THE NEW REGIME

Harvard has long been considered the center of tradition, and as it becomes necessary to replace these customs for the sake of greater efficiency, there is always much lamentation on the part of those who have been brought up in them. The Governing Board of the Union has now decided to change the present system of employing Graduate Secretaries as managers to that of having one professional to assume that position. In addition to that, this new office will not necessarily be filled by a Harvard graduate. Such a complete change from the system now in use can not but arouse opposition.

If the situation is considered from the point of view of the Governing Board of the Union, it is evident that this new system will make it possible to increase the efficiency in management. The fault of the present practice is not with the Graduate Secretaries, but with their other activities, which necessarily prevent them from devoting a sufficient amount of their time to the affairs of the Union. The new manager will be confined to one field, and will thus be able to be of greater use in his position. The traditions of the past may be destroyed but the increasing demands of management entirely justify this action of the Board.