TRACK PROSPECTS BRIGHT AS CANDIDATES REPORT

FARRELL EXHIBITS ACCUSTOMED OPTIMISM OVER PROSPECT

Approximately 180 candidates for the University track team, with over 100 Freshmen, reported to Coach E. L. Farrell at the initial meeting of the season yesterday afternoon at the Locker Building. Regular outdoor practice started immediately after the meeting, with the distance men jogging down the cross country course to the Water town bridge, and the dash men working out with Coaches Farrell, Mikkola, and Haggerty, on the Freshman track.

Twenty-one letter men are on hand this year from last season's track outfit, representing practically every event. Of these men, four were awarded letters as a result of placing in the recent I. C. 4A. meet at New York, including Vernon Munroe '31 and V. L. Hennessy '30 in the relay, C. E. Dunlap '30 in the pole vault, and F. J. Mardulier '30 in the high hurdles. The other returning letter men, listed with their events, are as follows:

T. H. Alcock '29, weights; P. S. Brown '30, high jump; S. E. Brown '31, javelin; F. E. Cummings '31, dashes; W. M. Dow '29, broad jump; Leslie Flaksman '29, distances; A. E. French '29, dashes; David Guarnaccia '29, weights; T. F. Mason '30, dashes; T. G. Moore '29, javelin; R. H. O'Connell '30, hurdles; R. P. Porter '29, distances; J. W. Potter '30, weights; J. L. Reid '29, distances; G. W. Smith 3E.S., distances; G. A. Tupper '29, hurdles, and J. O. Wildes '29, distances.

With all this material at his disposal, not to mention such promising Sophomore candidates as D. I. Cobb '31 in the middle distances, W. C. Rowe '31 in the relay, and A. L. Watkins '31 in the dash, Coach Farrell hopes to be able to develop a strong team. Commenting on the prospects for the 1929 season, the coach made the following statement: "The outlook for a successful year seems very bright just now. We must remember, however, that although we are strong, Yale also has one of the most powerful aggregations of recent years."