BASEBALL TEAM TO MEET BATES IN ITS INITIAL HOME GAME

Present Lineup With Five Veterans of Last Year--Whitmore or MacHale to Hurl for Crimson

An official weather forecast indicates that fair weather will at last allow the Crimson baseball forces to open their home season after three enforced postponements. A few hours of sunshine, according to Dennis Enright, ground-keeper of Soldiers Field, will put the diamond in shape for this afternoon's contest between Harvard and Bates, which is scheduled to start at 4 o'clock.

The entire Crimson pitching squad will be ready for action after an idleness of over a week, and Coach Mitchell has not as yet definitely decided upon his first choice. Howard Whitmore '29 or W.H. MacHale '31 seem to be the likely candidates for the twirling assignment, but R.R. Ketchum '29 might possibly be called upon to face the Northerners. Otherwise the Crimson lineup will be substantially the same as in previous games with A.G. Whitney '29 figuring in the only radical change.

The visitors have played but one game so far this season, losing to a powerful Bowdoin nine by a 3 to 1 score. Both teams displayed remarkable form in this game, the victors extricating themselves from a most threatening position by executing the first recorded triple play of the spring.