MITCHELL RESIGNS FROM FACULTY OF UNIVERSITY

History Instructor to be Historical Society's Editor-Succeeds W. C. Ford on October 1

Announcement was made yesterday that Stewart Mitchell '15, instructor and tutor in the Division of History, Government and Economics for the past two years, is resigning his post with the University this spring to become editor of the Massachusetts Historical Society, the oldest association of historians in the United States.

Mr. Mitchell was selected for this office several weeks ago. W. C. Ford, after 20 years of service with the organization, is retiring this summer; Mr. Mitchell will assume his new duties on October 1.

The new editor has had much experience in the fields with which he is to be connected. As an undergraduate he was president of the Harvard Monthly the former literary magazine which was discontinued in 1917, at which time Mr. Mitchell and several of the previous editors collaborated in publishing Right Harvard Poets. He has just prepared the new edition of the Official Guide to Harvard University, which will be brought out this month.

After graduation he became the first managing editor of the Dial under its new foundation as a monthly devoted to literature and art, and last year he was appointed to a similar position on the New England Quarterly.