GOLF TEAM MEETS M.I.T. TODAY AT WOODLAWN

Tee-off at 4 O'clock is First Match for Captain Filoon's Men--Tech Has Lost to Boston College

At 4 o'clock this afternoon at the Woodlawn Club the Harvard Golf Team encounters the M. I. T. tee-men. The match will be the first one played by the Crimson this spring, while the Engineers have engaged in a single previous contest, which they lost to Boston College.

The men who will play this afternoon are Phillips Finlay '31, first man; E. B. Murphy '31, second man: W. P. Arnold '31, third man; and Captain J. W. Filoon '29, fourth man. These men, together with the remainder of the squad, which was yesterday cut down to ten, have been practicing regularly over the Belmont Springs course under the direction of Filoon. According to him, the golfers are showing better form at present than the team did last year at this time. Finlay, who captained the 1931 Freshman team and last summer worked his way into the semi-finals of the National Amateur Tournament, has to his credit a 73 over the Belmont Springs bunkers. Arnold holed a 72 recently, while the best scores of Filoon and Murphy are 75 and 79 respectively.

There will be three points at stake tomorrow for each of the two foursomes. Two of these counters will go to the winners of the singles matches, and the third will fall to the team-mates winning the four-ball foursome.

Next Saturday the Crimson golfers will play Holy Cross in the first League match of the season. This match will also be played at Woodlawn, but each team will put six men into the contest. In all probability J. B. Baldwin '31 will occupy the number five position, while J. B. Ward '30, S. R. Johnson '30 or D. M. Proud foot '30 will play number six.