THE ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING

One's first reaction to the announcement that Harvard has turned down a large gift for the establishment of a course in eugenics is likely to be one of unmitigated annoyance. Here is an opportunity to add to the educational facilities of the University with a subject which is attracting the attention of scientists and laymen together; Harvard has passed up the chance, what can she be up to? The answer this time is of course that the bequest carried so many conditions that the corporation felt itself unable to shoulder the responsibility implied in acceptance.

In spite of the fact that the present instance is perfectly excusable, it should not be allowed to obscure the fact, that Harvard is not doing all it could to keep abreast of the times in what might be called the newer sciences. Eugenics is one of them, and the fact that it is not yet anywhere near an exact science is no valid reason for its not being fostered by the Harvard curriculum. In fact the amorphousness in which most theories for race betterment now find themselves should be but a stronger incentive for serious efforts toward research and instruction. It is a challenge to any honest educational institution which wishes to acquaint its students with a knowledge of the world as it is known to the best minds of the times.

Harvard has not much to be proud of in the way of recent contributions to such fields as eugenics, modern psychology or physics, and the consciousness that instruction in these subjects must vary in proportion to the quality of the original investigation going on only increases the biot. If opportunities such as the present one have drawbacks, other, more propitious chances must be sought.