THE STADIUM ALSO RISES

The resettlement of the Stadium controversy is surrounded with the pointed criticisms of those who would tell the administration, tell the H. A. A., tell anyone in fact, how it should best be done. In general, however, the figures seem to render the present decision unquestionable.

The cost of maintaining temporary steel stands, aside from the original cost of the materials, would, within ten years, equal the cost of concrete stands, approximately $380,000. The estimates submitted for the maintenance and handling of temporary stands figured between $40,000, and $46,000, annually. The investment is thus, obviously, completely out of proportion to the demand raised. To put $380,000 into what will be at best undesirable seats, used only on four or five afternoons of the year, would impede the possibility of any future developments, aside from being a little ridiculous in itself.

On the other hand, permanent steel stands with an original cost of $170,000 will still leave the subject open to consideration some time during the next ten years, while the need is temporarily met at comparatively low cost. Of the three types of construction that have been debated for several months, the concrete could not be constructed to duplicate the material and appearance of the present horseshoe, nor would it have the potential scrap value of the steel. The salvage of the steel will to some extent compensate for the unsightly appearance that this structure will present for a few years.

Certainly this decision does not close the issue, as further settlements are undoubtedly to be seen with changing conditions on Soldiers Field; the present move merely leaves the Stadium on a footing sufficient to meet the temporary demands, yet in a position that may facilitate any contemplated changes.