LAISSEZ-FAIRE

The fact that Harvard and Princeton meet today in a golf match is in itself a matter of small significance. The two institutions have met in dual combat of this sort several times since the severance of athletic relations. Harvard and Princeton debating teams have also come together on more than one occasion, and athletic events where the two colleges, along with others, have competed are numerous. The excuse for all these seemingly direct cases of intercourse between the two universities, officially separated, has always been found in the more than dual nature of the competitions. The golf matches have been part of a league schedule; crews have matched strokes in triangular regattas; polo teams have met in the race for intercollegiate honors.

It cannot but appear to at least a few logical-minded people that such distinctions are artificial; that there really is a desire among both Harvard and Princeton men to match strides on various occasions despite the outburst of 1926. And while those few are not advocating a return to the "big-three" standards, they cannot help condemning the present childish attitude of the two colleges towards frank and open relations where such would be desirable.