MIXED DOUBLES

The news that freshmen from Harvard are to debate with freshmen from Radcliffe the question: "Resolved, That the world is becoming worse" would seem to indicate that the world is becoming something. Once upon a time, if we are to believe the protestations of each party, an exchange of glances would have convinced either side of the truth of this now debatable proposition without further argument. Yet now they are found, the natural enemies to each other not only discussing a subject of mutual concern, but teaming together in a sort of mixed doubles arrangement wholly without parallel in public except on the stage.

Under such circumstances the negative side will probably have its difficulties in an attempt to sell its ideas to any audience recruited from the immediate neighborhood. At least it will have an equal advantage with the affirmative, with a feminine speaker handling the rebuttal. This favor shown to hostesses shows a charming disregard of what experience has taught about the argumentative powers of women. The Harvard half, or fraction, of the impending debate has proved its searage, if nothing more, by putting itself in the place where there is a possibility, at least, of hearing the ladies protest too much.