AND IN THE FIRE OF SPRING

After all, the Freshman Jubilee is a good deal like life. Weeks spent in discussion of the proper date so that no numeral man will have to break training on the night before the big game are accompanied by weeks of arrangement with butchers and bakers and electricians. Months, almost, of careful thought, a few moments of careless laughter in the dim light of quadrangle and common room and then the sun rises upon janitors picking up waste paper and commenting upon the abraded condition of the parquetry floor.

Evergreens are posted here and there to stimulate the quiet and charm of a New Hampshire hillside; and on the morning after, the casual visitor is greeted by a scene not unlike that of the familiar New England cut-over slashing. Some meagre punster who professes to se humor in all things, might call t a hang-over slashing, but not many will give him the consideration of a fleeting attention.

And then that extraordinarily clever little people the Japanese who invented the lantern that bears their name, how well they epitomized the fragility of human happiness. Be careful to get the pretty paper things inside before it rains for their colored loveliness cannot stand the rigors of our sharp New England climate. But after all they have lighted the queens of the May it only for a night. And wasn't it Ted Lewis who first said "You shall be King. King for a day".