PAR EXCELLENCE

The announcement that Harvard is to play Oregon University in a golf match in which the two teams will be playing three thousand miles apart makes the average person stop a minute and wonder where the desire for novelty in America will stop. There have been previous invasions of college sports by this seemingly dominant American characteristic but-never before has it gone to such an extreme.

All the details of the match which is being played this afternoon have been worked out to a nicety and the results will be telegraphed across the continent from one institution to the other in order to determine the winner. If this experiment proves successful there might seem to be no reason why the golf team should ever-leave Cambridge to engage an opponent, except that, all the competitive spirit of the contest would be lost.

In golf this may be a minor consideration but for a person who enjoys the competitive element in any sport there is small inducement to make a trip to Belmont Spring to watch the Harvard team play against par.