TENNIS TEAM TAKES 6-3 VICTORY FROM WILLIAMS

Whitbeck, Ingraham, Ware Lose Close Matches--Harvard Wins Easily in Doubles Matches

The even balance of the University tennis team was again brought into prominence yesterday when the Crimson racquetmen defeated Williams by a 6 to 3 score. With Williams taking the first two matches, three of the last four Harvard men in the lineup won their matches in straight sets while J. L. Ware '30 put up a stiff fight only to lose his encounter 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.

B. H., Whitbeck '29, Harvard's No. 1 man, was up against Wolf, who held the New England intercollegiate title last year, but took the first set by a one-sided 6-1 score. In the next two rounds however. Wolf regained his form to take them 6-4, 6-2. Arthur Ingraham Jr. '30 was the second man to lose, dropping two straight sets.

The first doubles match was won with difficulty. Ingraham and E. B. Ward '30 lost their first set to Wolf and Chase, 6-2, but pulled together in the last two rounds to squeeze out two 6-4, 6-4 wins. The other doubles matches were won by the University men with little trouble.

The summary:

Singles Wolf (W) defeated Whitbeck, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2; Chase (W) defeated Ingraham, 6-1, 7-5; W. L. Breese '31 defeated Sewall (W), 6-3, 6-4; J. H. Ward '30 defeated Shoaff (W), 6-3, 6-4; Groehl (W) defeated Ware, 5-7, 6-4, 6-3; R. L. Tower '31 defeated Clark (W), 6-4, 6-1.

Doubles Ingraham and Ward defeated Wolf and Chase, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4; Whitbeck and F. K. Trask '30 defeated Sewall and Shoaff (W), 6-1, 6-2; Breese and J. G. Douglas '31 defeated Grochl and Clark (W), 6-0, 6-3.