STORM AND STRESS

Scarcely have the powers that be obtained an armistice in the battle of the Ganns before another and even more momentous controversy comes to shake the tents of the mighty. Such issues as reparations, disarmament, and the World Court pall before the present earthquake in America's diplomatic center. Even the most weighty questions of social precedence must give way before the spectral hint of prohibition in the British embassy.

Of course the United States government has no intention of violating the traditional sanctity of extraterritorial privileges. No rights ordinarily granted to mere congressmen would be denied to the representatives of the powers of the earth. In fact there is little fear of the United States prohibition enforcement unit even among those not native to these shores.

The present threat is of greater danger to the peace of Washington. Sir Esme Howard himself has voluntarily offered to set up a zone of local prohibition in the British embassy. And of course such an example of good-will from one power might necessitate similar action by others in order to maintain a proper diplomatic balance. What wonder that foreign capitals must be consulted.

One ray of hope gleams through the black cloud. President Hoover expects to take no action in the matter. Perhaps he has a feeling that Prohibition should be started by Americans.