Canada's Membership in League of Nations Makes Her International Power-Says Sir Ames, Former Treasurer

"I'm afraid that you American citizens would know more than I about how the League of Nations affects the United States but it has had a tremendous influence on my own country, Canada," said Sir Herbert Ames, who was Treasurer of the League from 1919 to 1926 and, previous to that, a member of the Canadian parliament, yesterday, when interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter.

"Canada has secured recognition of her autonomous status through the League. Canada is now a member of the Council. In that case, the Canadian representative has to vote on many intricate European questions. He votes as representative of Canada which means that he is the voice of the Canadian government and that the government must make decisions on all international questions. This has caused a very marked reaction in the House of Commons where they now have frequent debates on international matters.

When asked what he thought of model League of Nations assemblies such as are being planned for Harvard, he said. "I think they are very good. There seems to be an epidemic of these assemblies just at this time. They are cropping up all over the United States.

"They have two purposes; first, to give a dramatic representation of the method and spirit that exist at the Assembly and Council at Geneva, and second, to form a new and interesting type of debating society in which a certain reality is given discussions of international problems since the students debate from the view points of the nations that they represent.