DEMOCRACY'S DILEMMA

No longer can the assurance of the old refrain, "All's quiet along the Potomac", ring throughout the bustling cities and peaceful hamlets of the land. For an open insurrection mars the tranquillity of the nation's capital in a manner not connected with the usual Congressional disturbances. Probably most people who read the Vice President's demands of last month that his sister be given the social privileges which go to his wife thought the matter would be allowed to end then and there.

But, as headlines on the front pages of yesterday's newspapers revealed, such acquiescence was not forthcoming on the part of the leaders of Washington society. After smouldering for several weeks the revolt against the demands of the second executive of the United States has flamed up with the refusal of the wife of the Speaker of the House of Representatives to give place to the Vice President's sister at social functions.

Perhaps a good part of the public is somewhat surprised to learn of all the important privileges attached to the office of Vice President. Holders of this position in recent years have come into fame in considerable measure because of their colorful language and their discovery that "what this country needs is a good five cent cigar." If the present incident indicates the social prerogatives of this second highest honor of our democracy, it also shows that in the land of equal opportunity where any native may aspire to the Presidency, none but the legal spouse of the Vice President can enjoy undisputed the honor accorded his wife by a loving nation.