EMANCIPATION

From now on Harvard is likely to figure in the police news every few hours. As the strain of examinations lifts more and more men annually ape the antics of the monk of Siberia whose prospects grew drearier until he burst from his cell with a loud scream. Already reports are drifting in from the expeditions of the more original freedmen. A pair of enterprising Martin Johnsons have gone on a pigeon hunt along the streets of Boston and Cambridge, popping at their feathered friends in the eaves of prominent buildings of the town with small damage to the birds but considerable carnage of the glassware in windows and street-lights. Others with what the Irish call a gift of gab have been spending the evenings arguing with the talkies in famous theatres until the fruitlessness of this employment became apparent.

But in a way all this and other evidence is a real testimony to the power of Harvard's proudest boast its indifference. Not until the duty of the hour is finished will the apostles of case and balance discard their lone for a little light entertainment. The police blotters will tell the tale of the thoroughness of their final efforts. But the world has learned what emancipation means and has come to treat Harvard in such periods with the indifference with which Harvard itself has taught.