EXCESSIVE HEAT ALLOWS CREWS ONLY EASY PADDLE

SHAW, COX OF WAITERS LASHES MEN FOR CONTEST THURSDAY

New London, Conn,. June 17--Extremely hot weather once more prevented strenuous workouts on the part of the University crews, while interest is temporarily diverted to the waiters crew which rows Yale on the half-mile course Thursday:

The University crew rowed three miles this morning, while the other crews took longer rows of five miles apiece. In the afternoon the first eights went to the three-mile mark trying racing starts under the eye of Coach Brown, while the Jayvees repeated the same performance shortly after.

The Freshman and Combination crews took shorter afternoon workouts.

Meanwhile the Waiters' crew went out once and obtained the peak of condition in the single afternoon workout. The crew has put the stroke up to fourteen under the able pace setting of Rainbow, at stroke, and look forward to an easy victory Thursday, David Shaw '29, 200-pound coxswain on the waiters crew is driving his men in a fabulous fashion, for as much as 200 yards at a time.

The seating of the Waiters crew follows: Stroke, Rainbow, former 150-pound oarsman; No. 7, L. L. Wadsworth '30; No. 6, B. S. Clark '30; No. 5, Stewart Cook '32; No. 4, W. M. Dunne '30, No. 3. R. L. Scott '31; No. 2, R. L. Kimball '31; bow, N. J. Tiffany '32; coxswain, David Shaw '29.