A MODEST PROPOSAL

Mr. W. O. MeGeehan took occasion yesterday to note down in his own widely syndicated style his impressions of the action of the French Lawn Tennis association in reestablishing M. Forst as an amateur. Apparently this happy outcome was reached after the offender had handed over the tainted francs not to his manager Mr. Pyle but to the Association which dictates his standing. It was a situation well adapted to the pen of the famous columnist.

The transfer of the same ethics to intercollegiate sport holds possibilities pleasant to contemplate. Certainly it is wrong to encourage the men who lead our youth astray by returning their athletes' salaries to them, and in the past there has been no way of escape from the old adage, "once a professional always a professional." A study of the recent French strategy immediately suggests the possibility of asking youthful violators of the gentlemen's agreement to turn over their summer earnings to the funds of their Alma Mater's athletic association and begin life over again. Besides greatly improving the quality of the nation's athletic teams it might swell the A. A. surpluses to such size that various institutions might finish their gymnasiums and have an endowment too.