NOTHING TOO MUCH

The chief virtue of an examination proctor is that he sees without being seen, hears without being heard, and announces the passing nour without causing panic. If he thrusts himself too much in the public eye, he distracts the attention of those occupied with more serious affairs; if he retires too completely behind a pillar he tails to gather the information necessary for his theoretical report on "Some irregular methods of tilling blue books." It has been will said that the successful proctor approaches more nearly to the Golden Mean than any other College official.

Perhaps the niceties of the profession are to be found nowhere to better advantage than in the function of timekeeper. Too frequent calling of the hour has a tendency to create unfortunate emotional situations in the examinees and a mere announcement as the period draws to a close that "this examination will close in five minutes" is a brutality of which every one will admit the danger.

Popular recognition and public gratitude to the officials in charge of examinations has never been wide the very nature of the office prevents such a possibility. But there is a kind of silent regard in the breasts of all for the proctor who recognizes his grave responsibilities to his examinees, and above all does not giggle upon first looking at the papers which in a minute or two he will distribute among anxious hands.