NOTABLES SPEAK AT LANGDELL HALL WING DEDICATION

Campaign Begun in 1926 Results in Building and Endowment--Portrait of Dean Pound Will be Presented

An event of great importance to Harvard, the dedication of the new Langdell Hall at the Harvard Law School on Wednesday, Septembr 25, will bring together some of the most outstanding representatives of the legal profession both here and abroad. The Under Secretary of State of the United States, the Honorable Joseph P. Cotton '96, and Dean Roscoe Pound Hon. '20, of the Harvard Law School will address the 500 or more guests who are expected to crowd the Courtroom of Langdell Hall.

By this dedication Harvard marks the consummation of the campaign for a larger, better equipped Law School, begun in March, 1926, with an appeal to the American people for funds. As a result of this campaign, a large sum was secured for buildings and land, and with a part of this money the new Langdell Hall was completed.

Wickersham Attends

At 11 o'clock on Wednesday morning the ceremonies will begin in the Courtroom of Langdell Hall. The proceedings will be conducted by the Harvard Law School Association, whose President is William Thomas of San Francisco. Canadian, Federal, and State Judges, many members of the American Bar and a number of foreign lawyers and scholars will attend. George W. Wickersham, Chairman of the President's National Commission on Law Observance and Enforcement, will be present.

Following the addresses by Dean Pound and Under Secretary of State Cotton, a portrait of Dean Pound, painted by Mr. C. S. Hopkinson '91, of Boston, will be presented to the school by the Harvard Law School Association. The keys of the building will be delivered by the architect, C. A. Coolidge '81, of Boston, to the President of the University. Honorary degrees will be conferred upon distinguished foreign scholars.

Largest Reading Room

The most outstanding feature of the new Langdell Hall, which will be shown to the visitors following the ceremonies, is the new reading room, the largest in the world, 480 feet long, extending the entire length of the building. In the center of this huge room there is located a delivery desk 24 feet square, with a capacity for 1600 books within the desk, conducted during 1926-27, about $500,000 was set aside for the general endowment of the library. A further $100,000 was provided for bibliographical assistance and $200,000 for a publication fund. These funds have enabled enormous enlargement of the facilities for caring for the vast law library and for enabling students to study in it. The new building provides for 20,000 shelf units, and has stack room for 500,000 books. In the midst of these book stacks there are located the 35 studies for graduate students, and the 78 stalls for undergraduate work in the stacks.

The unique feature of the new building is the new court room, on the top floor of the west wing. Here the dedication will be held. This court, modeled after the style of the old English Courts at Westminister, with seats for counsel inside the bar on the sides and at right angles to the judges bench as well as before the bench, is probably one of the finest court rooms in the country.