"STRANGE INTERLUDE" MAY PLAY IN CAMBRIDGE

MAYOR QUINN REFUSES TO TALK ON POSSIBLE SHOWING

The staging of the "Strange Interlude" on Harvard Square became a real possibility yesterday when Charles E. Hatfield, owner of the University Theatre on Harvard Square, offered his stage to the Theatre Guild of New York as a scene for the production of Eugene O'Neil's Pulitzer Prize Play recently banned in Boston.

Protests against the barring of the "Strange Interlude" in Boston, where it was supposed to be produced beginning September 30 in the Hollis Theatre, have been numerous and widespread. Offers from theatre managers within the reach of the metropolitan district have been made to the Theatre Guild but none possesses so many evident advantages as the University Theatre in Cambridge. It has a slightly larger capacity than the Hollis Theatre and is within easy reach of downtown Boston.

Mayor Quinn of Cambridge has not yet made public his decision on whether he would issue a permit for the presentation of the "Strange Interlude" in Cambridge or not, but it is expected that the Cambridge authorities would be considerably more liberal-minded than the notoriously puritan officials of Boston town. When interviewed last night, Mayor Quinn declined to issue any statement.

It is expected that once the proper concessions are made the Theatre Guild will be able to produce its show in Boston proper, although Mayor Nichols has thus far remained obdurate in his refusal of his permission.

Eugene O'Neil is considered by many the foremost American playwright. He studied under George Pierce Baker '87, formerly the tutor of the famed "47 Workshop".