AERIAL ATTACK IS MUCH IMPROVED

Scores Two Touchdowns, One on 60 Yard Dash Through Whole Second Team--Freshman Cut Near

Followers of Harvard football destinies were given an encouraging surprise yesterday afternoon when it was revealed that five forward passes were completed in as many attempts. Coach Horween sent his squad through an hour and a half scrimmage and the intensive heat severely tested the condition of the players.

Checking their line thrusts with well-executed lateral and forward passes, the University players downed the Knox-coached scrubs by a 27 to 0 score. Although the first string players started slowly and showed ragged form, they soon got under way. The initial score followed a fifty yard parade down the field. A lateral from Putnam to Mays netted 20 yards. Charles Devens crashed through a weak spot in the left side of the scrub line for 15 more: yards and Putnam advanced the pig skin five. With beautiful interference mowing down potential tacklers. Mays dashed 15 yards for the score. Putnam's kick was good.

A few minutes later, Mays once again went over the line following a 60 yard run. The team functioned well as a unit, carrying out assignments in snappy style. Another long march ended when White slipped off his left tackle for the 'third tally, Mason earning the extra point on an off-tackle slant.

Taking the ball at mid-field, Batchelder then unleashed a 30-yard forward to Record. The remaining distance to the scoring line was covered on a Wetmore-to-Batchelder lateral. The diminutive signal-caller failed to put his kick over the cross-bar.

The rest of the afternoon grind was devoted to scrimmage between two C teams. Considerable emphasis was placed on the aerial attack with successful results. Potter was on the throwing end of these passes and showed good form and accuracy.

The line-up of the University team follows: r.e., Burns, Ogden, Baldwin; r.t.; Davis, Waterman, Upton; r.g., Talbot, W. Ticknor, Newhart; c., B. Ticknor, Gildea, Cunningham: l.g., Trainer, Faxon, Ginman; l.t., Barrett, Levin, Lewis: l.e., O'Connell, Harding, Mouschegian, Record; q.b., Putnam, Wetmore, Gleason: l.h.b., Harper, Mason, Fullam; r.h.b., Mays, Batchelder. A. Devens; f.b., Potter, C. Devens, White.