Retirement of Joe Forecast Becomes a Reality as the Famous Prognosticator Marries--Successor Sought

In a recent edition of a small mid-western town sheet appeared the following notice "Marriage: Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence L. Lateral take pleasure in announcing the marriage of their daughter-Letty L. to Mr. Joseph Forecast on Tuesday last at the home of the bride's parents."

A simple sounding statement, to be sure, but one which taken in its larger aspects will mean more to football followers in general than any since the adoption of the oblong ball.

The first signs of the impending tragedy were noticed by those close to Joe as early as last fall. The tremendous publicity which the elder Forecast's powers had brought him were beginning to have their telling effect. A telegram was received before the football season last year as follows: "Harvard CRIMSON stop have in custody two men stop have given name of Forecast stop found floating in bay on empty cases stop elder in serious condition stop claims foul play by betting ring stop have asked us to communicate with you stop please advise. Sergeant Curdle, Coast Guard." It gave a definite inkling of what might happen very soon. In fact Joe might well have quit then if it had not been that he was unwilling to leave his friends in the lurch. This year however he never signed a contract and though it was hoped that he might turn up late, the worst was feared.

The question of Joe's successor is one which is giving the followers of Harvard football much worry. Obviously the team's record cannot be left as a hostage to chance. Some progress along these lines has already been accomplished and it is hoped that a definite announcement can be made within the next few days.