ORGANIZATION OF P. B. H. OUTLINED BY J. H. LANE

Graduate Secretary Describes Society's Activities -- Numerous Committees are Formed

The following article on the history and activities of the Phillips Brooks House was written for the Crimson by G. H. Lane '28, Graduate Secretary of the Phillips Brooks House.

Phillips Brooks House was built in 1900 as a memorial to Bishop Brooks, who preached for many years to students at Harvard University. The house was intended to serve as a center for such activities as would foster and develop religious and philanthropic interests among Harvard students.

As in the case of most Harvard institutions, the activities centering in the Brooks House have undergone many changes in form during the past 20 years, without any appreciable change in aims and ideals. Originally most of the work at the house was conducted by a number of religious groups, such as the St. Paul's Episcopal Society. St. Paul's Catholic Club, a missionary society, and others of like nature. More recently, however, the tendency has been away from the mystical and devotional side of religion toward an increasing emphasis on the service or "good works" aspect of religion. The activities now sponsored by the Phillips Brooks House Association are each conducted by a separate committee.

The Chairmen of the Constituent Committees together with four elective officers compose the Cabinet, which is responsible for the plans and policies of the Association. The decisions of the Cabinet are subject to the approval of the Phillips Brooks House Committee, which at present consists of the following members:

Chairman, Professor G. G. Wilson; Treasurer, W. J. Bingham '16; C. G. Chase '30; Dean G. H. Chase '96; R. H. Holt '11; James Jackson '04; A. S. Johnson '85; James Roosevelt '30; George Wigglesworth '74.

A list of the constituent committees and their chairmen, together with a brief outline of the work of each committee follows:

The Social Service Committee led by Chairman E. S. Amazeen 31, secures places for several hundred Harvard students yearly to coach boy's clubs in settlement houses of Cambridge and Boston in various indoor sports and diversions. Students also take charge of boy scout groups, classes in naturalization of foreigners, and classes at the Cambridge jail. The judges of the juvenile courts have commended the students for their work in keeping-boys occupied.

The Foreign Students Committee, with Carl Parker '31 as Chairman, prepares a list of all foreign students at the University and organizes an International Council, a club of discussion, meeting monthly. This committee assists foreign students in every way possible.

A Library Committee, headed by W. McK. Dunn '30, conducts the textbooks loan library, which consists of ethical, religious, and social works, and supplies the reading room of the House with current periodicals.

The Information Committee, under the chairmanship of W. W. Foshay '31, prepares a registry of available living quarters in Cambridge, and conducts an information bureau in the early weeks of the Fall term. The Handbook Committee, with its chairman A. R. Maynard '30, edits and publishes the Harvard Handbook.

A Speakers' Committee, in charge of Chairman T. H. Culhane '30, furnishes Harvard students as entertainers in answer to requests from schools, churches, settlement houses, men's clubs, and Christian Associations. The Mission Committee, with P. M. Sheldon, ocC, as Chairman, corresponds with Harvard graduates who are teaching or doing missionary work abroad.

The Law Loan Library, which lends law books to needy students, is managed by the Law School Committee, headed by W. J. Kyle, Jr. 3L. This body also conducts a series of lectures by prominent members of bench and bar.

Membership in the Association is open to all members of the University, the only basis for membership being participation in some of its activities. The Graduate Secretary will be glad to confer with anyone interested in any branch of the works of the Association