FACSIMILE EDITION OF RARE BOOK PREPARED

PAGES FOR NEW EDITION PRINTED IN GERMANY

Publication of a facsimile copy of the Harvard Shelley Notebook, one of the treasures of the College Library, is announced by the John Barnard Associates, a club of University book-lovers. The facsimiles of the pages have been prepared in Germany, and are at present in the hands of the club, preparatory to their being issued in book form.

The Shelley Notebook, which is in the Treasure Room of the College Library, has long been a valuable accession for students of the University, but it has been impossible to make as much use of the volume as was desirable, because of its immense value. The publication of the facsimile edition will make the treasured notebook available for more general use, consequently increasing its practical value as a reference. It is a small volume, filled with verse written in the hand of the author.

The John Barnard edition will include a proscript by George Edward Woodberry '77, who holds a distinguished position in the contemporary literary world. Professor Woodberry first saw the Notebook during his Senior year at Harvard, when the atmosphere of the College was not very favorable to Shelley, and in his introductory paragraphs he writes of the thrill he received when he was permitted to handle the priceless poetical relic.

Professor Woodberry was the first of the speakers to talk during the spring of this year, under the provisions of the Morris Gray '77 fund for contemporary poetry.

The facsimile edition of the Notebook will be issued during the fall or early winter, it is announced by the John Barnard Associates.