FRESHMAN DEBATERS TRY OUT FOR PLACES TODAY

Will Argue on "Baby Volstead Act" in Competition for Team Against Yale and Princeton

Trials for places on the Freshman Debating Team will be held in Holden Chapel this afternoon at 4 o'clock; according to an announcement made yesterday by the Harvard Debating Council. Candidates will speak for five minutes on the question: "Resolved, That the 'Baby Volstead Act' in Massachusetts be repealed".

Those retained in the competition will meet at a date to be determined after the trials to chose the officers of the Freshman Debating Council. Men reporting in this competition will be accorded special consideration in the awarding of the $50 prize from the Coolidge Fund to be given for the best speech in the trials to be held sometime in the future for the annual Freshman triangular debate with Yale and Princeton. The latter event will mark the culmination of the Freshman debating season. Previous to this last contest there will be several debates with teams representing other institutions. Communications from many teams requesting debates with the Freshmen have been received but as yet no definite steps have been taken to arrange the dates for the contests.