THE ELEVENTH HOUR

The statement of President Lowell, announced in today's paper, regarding the status of Freshmen and Sophomores in the Engineering School, in relation to the House Plan is an eminently fair and judicial settlement of a difficult situation insofar as the members of the first two classes are concerned. It is very unfortunate however that this decision was not reached in time to allow Juniors to apply for rooms in the new House units. The Juniors are in every way as much entitled to consideration under the circumstances which led President Lowell to change the policy in regard to Engineering Students, as are the Sophomores and Freshmen.

The eventual decision as to whether Engineering students will be admitted to the House Plan, whether they will be segregated by themselves, or whether they will continue to live under the present conditions remains as yet undetermined. The argument that these students do not fall within the scope of the House Plan, inasmuch as they are not affected by the tutorial system is the greatest objection which can be raised to justify their exclusion. Yet there are many who feel that the School has reached a critical stage. Either it must strike off independently of the College than is now the case, assuming a relation like that of the distinct graduate school, or it must identify itself more completely with the academic branch. This latter relation would presuppose the adoption of the House Plan in some form.

The University announcement is definite in stating that this concession to the Freshmen and Sophomores of the Engineering School is not to be construed as an entering wedge into the House Plan. Yet the success of mingling these students with those from the College itself will bear watching. The House Plan may yet be the solution of the problems confronting the Engineering School.