DRASTIC CHANGE IN AWARD OF RHODES GRANTS APPROVED

Rhodes Scholars May Go Back for Third Year After Period of Work--Greene Foresees Permanency of Plan

Two important changes in the regulations governing the American Rhodes scholarships have been announced by Dr. Frank Aydelotte, president of Swarthmore College and American secretary to the Rhodes trustees.

Beginning with this year, the states of the Union, will be grouped into eight districts of six states each, and the 32 scholarships assigned annually to the United States will be divided equally among the districts, making a quota of four scholarships for each group of six states.

The system formerly in use involved the selection of a man from each state in two years out of every three. By this new system, there will be a competition in every state every year. Each state committee of selection will nominate from the candidates applying to it the two best men to appear before the district committee. Four men will then be selected by the district committee, and these will represent their respective states as Rhodes scholars at Oxford. In this way the scholarships will be distributed among the states of a given district in accordance with the merit of the candidates.

Flexibility of Plan

The new plan was suggested by former Rhodes scholars in the United States and was authorized by the Rhodes trustees. The two strongest arguments put forward for the plan are the flexibility which allows the scholarships to be distributed in accordance with the strength of the candidates, and that under the system it will be possible to have an election in every state every year instead of two years out of three as in the past. The eight districts for 1930 are New England, Middle Atlantic, South, Great Lakes, Middle West, Gulf, Southwest, and Northwest.

Another change in the regulations gives to Rhodes scholars a wide choice as to the way in which they will use their third year. Rhodes scholars will be appointed for two years in the first instance, and those who wish to take a third year will be expected to present a definitely worked-out plan of study for that period.

May Study on Continent

Scholars may be allowed to take their third year immediately, or if they so desire, they may return to Oxford for it after a number of years of work in their own countries. A third possibility is offered those that wish to spend their third year in post-graduate work in any university in Great Britain or on the continent of Europe, on conditions approved by the Rhodes trustees.

The conditions of eligibility state that a candidate must be an unmarried male citizen of the United States between the ages of 19 and 25, and that he shall have completed at least his sophomore year in some recognized college or university in the United States.

Professor W. C. Greene '11, who has been connected with the Massachusetts selection of candidates, stated last night. "I do not know how long a trial this new redistricting system will be given before it is modified, if it is altered at all. I should not be at all surprised, however, if this new plan became permanent."

Any Harvard students who are contemplating candidacy for a Rhodes scholarship may obtain more complete information from Room 5 in University Hall.