GLUECK PUBLISHES RESEARCH VOLUME

Lives of Criminals During Four Stages of Their Careers Traced Carefully by Expert

A book which may have revolutionary consequences is the volume entitled "500 Criminal Careers", by Sheldon Glueck, assistant professor and instructor in the Law School, and his wife. This book has recently been published by A. A. Knopf of New York City.

Glueck explained the work performed on this book and the purpose of the survey which was made, when questioned yesterday by a CRIMSON reporter. This is, he said, the first attempt ever made to trace the subsequent careers of criminals after their incarceration. The statement had been made and generally accepted that when criminals had served their terms and were let loose, approximately 80 per cent of them went the straight and narrow path thenceforth. But Glueck went into the matter in detail. He looked into every corner of the lives of 500 criminals at four stages in their careers, compiling statistics at every turn. Ninety per cent of these men were kept in touch with while located in every part of the United States. In treating the matter, Glueck first compiled elaborate statistics as to the life these men led before they were sent to the Reformatory; next he surveyed their actions while in confinement; then they were watched while out on a parole of five years; and finally records were made of the ultimate habits and life of the men, after they were completely out of the jurisdiction of the law.

Finds Criminals Don't Reform

Glueck's statistics, when compounded, formed the basis for this book. The figures prove that instead of 80 per cent of these criminals leading pacific lives after the Reformatory confinement, the reverse was true, and that 80 per cent continued in the paths they had set out upon.

The task of compiling these statistics was done with great thoroughness. The resulting figures are, therefore, the last word in actual facts upon this subject which has caused much discussion. They are, furthermore, of the utmost importance in another line. For by these figures, Glueck has determined about eight factors which may be used as a prognostic table to tell what the probability of a criminal's leading a law-abiding life in the future will be. Hitherto, the type of crime committed, whether major or minor, has been one of the largest considerations in the giving of a sentence. But these figures show that such judgment has a chance of correctness equivalent to a fraction of one per cent, while if judgment is made according to such scientific tables as Glueck proposes, the ratio rises to somewhere around 80 per cent. This table of prognostication consists of finding out certain facts about the criminal, such as the nature of his habits before he was previously convicted, his attitude toward his family in the past, whether he lives in a favorable neighborhood, how he acted under parole and on his own, how he spends his leisure, and so forth. By these findings, he may be listed in a group which will show with some accuracy the probability as to the life he will lead in the future.

Glueck's hope is that he can at least start some discussion on his proposed system, and possibly have it tried tentatively though not adhered to too rigidly. If this survey has the effect which seems likely, there may be revolutionary changes in the systems now employed.

Glueck concludes the book with some suggestions as to the management of the Reformatories to make their work more successful.