FACULTY MEMBERS WILL PUBLISH NEW BOOKS WITHIN NEXT TWO WEEKS

SOUERS DISCUSSES ACTIVITIES OF MRS. KATHERINE PHILLIPS

The Harvard University Press yesterday announced that several new books by Harvard faculty members will be on the market within the next few weeks.

Most prominent of those publications is a work of Dr. John Warren '63, Into associate professor of Anntomy in the Harvard Medical School. The edition is entitled "Warren's Handbook of Anatomy" and is especially valuable in as much that it embodies a group of 320 regional dissection illustrations.

This volume is the direct result of Dr. Warren's ambition to do dissection work somewhat differently than is the usual practice. He fulfilled his desire and employed H.F. Aitken to make drawings of his experiments. Dr. Warren died after completing 400 dissections and loft his work to the department of Anatomy. Steps were taken to publish these illustrations and Dr. R.M. Green '02, assistant professor of Applied Anatomy, made this possible by writing a descriptive text for the drawings.

Ballad Books and Ballad Men

"Ballad Books and Ballad Men" is the title of 327 page work of Sigurd Bernhard Hustvedt. The author puts forth in this volume a survey of ballad men, from Sir Walter Scott to Francis James Child '46, who was the predecessor of G.L. Kittredge '82 as Gurney Professor of English Literature. Two chapters are devoted to the contemporaneous story of Scandinavian balladry, particularly in its relation to the labors of Child. Appendixes present a large store of illuminating documents, hitherto unpublished, from the correspondence of Child and the Danish editor Grunting.

"The Matchless Orinda" by P. W. Souers '27, instructor in English doals with the activities of Mrs. Katherine Phillips in the literary circles of the Commonwealth and the Restoration. Mrs. Phillips was the first woman in England to be recognized as a poetess.

"Translation: An Elizabethan Art" by F.O. Matthiessen '27, instruotor in History and Literature, "Industrial Evolution" by Norman S.B. Gras '12, Straus Professor of Business History, and "The Phoenix Nest," from the pen of H.E. Rollins '17, professor of English, are other works due for an early appearance.