TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS

For some reason, members of the legal profession, unlike their fellows in Medicine, have never felt the urge to render gratuitous service to mankind; and this is perhaps natural enough, for legal entanglements are rarely a matter of life and death. Hence the origin, although a comparatively recent one to be sure, of various "legal aid" societies, which, according to Dean Pound, are due to remain as an indispensable part of our present day civilization.

The average citizen may well thank God and the Legal Aid Society when he finds himself in difficulties, but under ordinary circumstances the most salient inadequacies in the field of law are not concerned with any lack of legal talent, or to be more accurate, advice. At the present rate of progress, mortal combat stands a far better chance of becoming the popular method of setting disputes than does court procedure What person in his right mind wants to wait some three years in order to carry a grievance before a magistrate who has bought his appointment only to be told that a law which was passed in 1648 prevents him from collecting any damages". Far better to annihilate one's opponent and his entire family, and anney his property Grievance is satisfied and there is not the least possibility of being apprehended unless one lives to be well over conventional three score and ten

The arm of the law has become so long that it can no longer lift its own weight and it is respectfully suggested that a Society be formed for the aid and guidance of corrupt magistrates and feeble minded legislators