HARVARD AND THE SYMPHONY

This afternoon Sir George Henschel will lift the baton he first raised fifty years ago, and will signal the Boston Symphony Orchestra to begin the same program that they played under his direction at their first concert. To Harvard men the occasion will be the anniversary of a most valuable and delightful aspect of life in Cambridge. There has always been a very close association between the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Harvard College.

This relationship has been largely due to the personal interest of the late Major Henry Lee Higginson in both institutions. Major Higginson was the founder of the orchestra, and for long a fellow of Harvard College; throughout his life he worked to bring them together as much as possible. The plans for the Sanders Theatre series of concerts were drawn up by him, in organizing the orchestra, as an essential part of its program. They have contributed both enjoyment and educational benefit to fifty years of Harvard faculty and students.

What the Boston Symphony has thus contributed to Harvard has been reciprocated, in part, by the contributions of the Harvard and Radcliffe Glee Clubs to the Symphony. Since 1923, when the Harvard Glee Club first sang with the orchestra, they have both contributed vocal parts to such notable programs as Brahms' "Ein Deutches Requiem" and Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

The Boston Symphony Orchestra is celebrating its anniversary by performing, in conjunction with the Glee Clubs, an "Ode for the Jubilee of the Symphony Orchestra" composed by two Harvard men, which comes as a fitting climax to the friendly relations of the past.