ROPER'S ROW

The question of football overemphasis is as old as the game itself. Much has been said in the past and much will be said in the future about the distorted value placed on the collegiate contests. The criticism has not been limited to non participants, for some players and a few coaches have joined in the common chorus.

A few days ago a new indictment on over emphasis was launched, this time by Coach Roper of Princeton. He said the usual things which need not be repeated, but his voice lends new weight to an old argument. Famed in the past for his successful teams he usually thought of as an ardent exponent of modern football.

And now with his retirement set for this fall he bitterly attacks the game he did so much to popularize. It may be that he is merely sick of driving teams for objective games or for the pleasure of Alumni; it may be he has seen the fallacy in this popular deification of a sport, but whatever the reason that prompted him to make this statement it is of far greater significance than most of the aimless rant on the evils of football.