ARMY COUNTS ON COORDINATION IN GRIDIRON CLASSIC

During Pre-War Series Harvard Shut Out Pointers--Cadets Gained Upper Hand With 1928 Tilt

By The Pointer

With Harvard Square and the Yard to take the place of the Hudson River parade grounds. Army will arrive in Cambridge today determined to add another victory to the list of games that have been played at intervals since 1895.

When West Point played against the bearded Harvard warriors for the first time, the future generals lost by a 4 to 0 score, a total made possible by the regulations of the game at that time. Up until the war, 13 games took place between the two institutions, all of which were won by teams from Cambridge. Following the war, no games were played until two years ago, when an Army team of the new regime of Biff Jones and the great Cagle shut out Harvard 15 to 0.

More than average interest in football attaches itself to a Harvard-Army game. There is the everlasting idea of the added years of training that have attended most of the wearers of the grey and gold. Then some consider the vast difference in the environments surrounding the two elevens, and they remember the strict regulations clinging to all the cadets, and the extremely businesslike way in which Uncle Sam gets the government work done.

Utterly different in character, the products of the more casual atmosphere of Harvard are inevitably put on the block for comparison with those of the grim government industry, a comparison that involves not only team play, but also individual undergraduate attitude and sportsmanship. But with the traditional slum and gravy signs, the future generals will come again for the annual fiasco, and John Harvard will discard his Bible for a glance at the future defenders of the rights of the peaceful.