"We May Be Personally Defeated, But Our Principles Never"

LETTERS ON THE LEGION

(Ed Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer will names be with-held.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

I wish to be counted among these who stand with unqualified approval behind the editorial position of the CRIMSON in relation to the conduct of the American Leglon during their week of convention in Boston. That the CRIMSON should be the only publication to break the conspiracy of silence on the part of local journals, must be a cause of satisfaction to a multitude of Harvard men. The simple speaking of truth about the existing state of anarchy during the Legion week was an act of courage under the circumstances, and upholds the best tradition of Massachusetts. That the truth should be unpalatable to the class of critics who would attempt to muzzle the press is, of course, what might have been expected and quite in the natural order of events.

With a sense of grateful appreciation to the individual editors who possessed the journalistic instinct and fearlessness to deal with the disgraceful facts of this occasion as they deserved, I am William Lloyd Garrison Jr. '97, Boston.