1934 PREFERS SINGLES, FOOTBALL AND TENNIS

Figures of Fall Sports Show Increased Popularity of Three Sports -- Crew and Track Lose

That singles, football, and tennis are growing in popularity in the Freshman class at the expense of crew and track, was indicated by the figures given out yesterday by the Department of Physical Education at Wadsworth House. This year, tennis was again the sport chosen by the greatest number. Crew was second and football third. The list shows that there are 235 men out for tennis, 21 more than last year: 161 playing football as against last year's 137, and 87 out for singles an increase of 25, the greatest increase in any sport.

Crew lost 25 candidates and track 19. Apparently the Class of '34 was not influenced in its choices by the success or failure of '33 teams as last year's Freshman crew was undefeated while the football team did not win a game.

Soccer has moved from seventh to sixth place and cross country from ninth to eighth Fencing has lost 13 men and handball 10.

Fall sports open to Freshmen with the number of men who have signed up for each, are as follows.

Tennis 235; crew 183; football 161; singles 87; swimming, 77; soccer 12; track, 30 cross country 24, fencing 20 managers 15; handball 18; hiking 14 baseball 12; polo 7 miscellaneous 6; lacrosse 4.