"POVERTY DECREASED UNDER PROHIBITION," SAYS R. C. CABOT

Professor Supports State Dry Law Enforcement

"Poverty has decreased under prohibition, and cruelty to children is two-fifths less than before prohibition," recently declared Dr. R. C. Cabot '89, Professor in the Department of Social Ethics at Harvard.

Professor Cabot has taken an active part in the support of the Massachusetts Dry Enforcement Law. From his experience in many years of medical service he says that even the moderate, regular drinker was even more effectively poisoned than the occasional drinker who gave his system a chance to throw off the poison.

Taking the relation of poverty to drink, Dr. Cabot claimed, "The social workers of the United States know more about the poverty question than any other group and not one out of one thousand of these workers is wet.

"Even though facts show that alcohol is both a food and poison, it is a poison that steadily progresses. In cases of pneumonia alcoholics are almost surely doomed, and no one is immune from pneumonia. The deaths after prohibition have decreased from 80 percent to 35 percent. In cases of tuberculosis the decrease is just as marked, and deaths from cirrhosis of the liver went down one-third after the prohibition act.

"The greatest danger from drunken automobile drivers comes from the man who has had just one or two drinks and thinks he is just as good as before.