AIDING THE ARTS

When Bernard Fay speaks before the Morris Gray Poetry Group, a larger number of students than ever before will have the opportunity of benefitting by the unusual bequest which has done so much for those interested in verse. Previously the audiences have been limited, both because a small group could accomplish more than a large, and because the meeting place does not permit a large gathering.

It does not seem necessary to point out that the poetry fund has done its greatest good by being unobatrusive. There has been little publicity and much informality. Interested students have not been neglected, and at the same time there has been no open attempt to induce attendance. The result is that half a dozen modern poets have been able to speak informally without having to exert a popular appeal or to hold the attention of an audience.

This is probably the precise desire of the founder, Morris Gray '77, who has been so unobtrusive in his numerous gifts to the University in the cause of poetry. In the occasional meetings of the group students of similar interests have been drawn together; recent poetry is discussed, and without and organization of any kind, ideas in poetry are promoted. If the fund could be used to present occasional speakers of interest to a larger public, and at the same time the smaller group could hold intermittent meetings, the best efforts of the founder will be realized.