VANITY FARE

Both God and Mammon have at last been served. Sunday their praises were carolled from the pulpit in a sermon whose text was indirectly taken from the Bible. Vanities, saith the preacher, my Vanity of Vanities is now showing in Boston. Speaking as a man of God, Earl Carroll deplored the rigid censorship of his nigh Eve like girls as they appeared in his musical comedy at the Shubert. He created art unappreciated by the staid Bostonian morality as voiced by City Censor Casey. Besides bare legs Mr. Carroll pleaded for more profanity on the stage of today; he wanted a revival of Flesh and the Devil.

To lend weight to his arguments this lay preacher cited the burlesque shows of the Scollay Square district. Boston countenanced, even stared at, these productions so in all fairness to Art he says that he should be allowed to put on the same kind of thing. He forgets that this machine age is fast forcing culture into the background.

Earl Carroll is to be congratulated for his taking the cloth, but he should have left a little of it for his girls.