SWIMMERS RESPOND TO COACH'S CALL

First Month's Training Will Consist of Body-Building Exercises--Water Polo May be Organized

Thirty-nine men reported to Coach H. S. Ulen yesterday afternoon at the season's first call for candidates for the first swimming team to carry Harvard's colors since 1922. Due to an error in the announcement of the meeting, many aspirants failed to appear; so a second gathering will be held today at 3 o'clock in the special exercise room of the Indoor Athletic Building, where all undergraduates, Freshmen as well as upperclassmen may register.

Stressing the importance of body-building work to a successful swimmer, Coach Ulen outlined his plan of training, which for a month will consist only of sessions on the gymnasium floor, under the supervision of N. W. Fradd, who regularly conducts the special Freshman classes. After this preliminary instruction the men will begin work in the water; but Coach Ulen repeatedly emphasized the necessity of body conditioning to which such an authority as Kiputh of Yale has attributed 50 percent of his good results.

Coach Ulen pointed out that the schedule facing Harvard is not an easy one, especially for a newly organized and inexperienced team; but he feels that the men will get more out of a stiff season than a soft one.

If the material warrants it, water polo will also be organized this year. It has become a league sport; and while Harvard does not look forward to entering the league yet, it may hope to do so in the not distant future.