BROWN, BOYS, AND BOTTLES

Some fellows in Providence, R. I.; at present enrolled in a college they have down there called Brown, were reported last night as having broken the peace, a lot of furniture, and the hearts of their loving teachers. They threw bottles into the street, chairs, divans; and undoubtedly advantage was taken of the occasion to dispose of a number of radios, vitrolas, and saxophones. The police, having at last found someone whom they dared to prosecute, were highly incensed, and allowed that it was high time somebody did something about the deplorable spirit of lawlessness among college students. The deans didn't like it much either, but they wouldn't.

Of course it is ridiculous to say that such disturbances are a necessity and should be entirely condoned. But nobody will, and there is little danger of such an attitude becoming prevalent. The general public will simply make a few choice remarks about "fool college boys" and let it go at that. But a good psychologist could probably give a very interesting dissertation on the secret springs in adolescent human nature which occasionally break out in the geyser. like proportions of students riots. Naturally elderly gentlemen don't start riots. In the first place because they wouldn't dare, but more than that, because most of them wouldn't want to. Most students dare at all times, and sometimes they want to, for there are occasions when youthful energy and enthusiasm desire an outlet and find none, despite compulsory athletics, which is supposed to afford one and obviously doesn't. So disturbances of one kind or another occur, not in the spirit of vandalism but rather of over-enthusiasm and thoughtlessness.

Let him who is without sin among you heave the first sofa.