987 Out of 1237 Candidates Applying for Admission to Class of 1934 Entered in September--November of Transfers Less

Of 1237 candidates who applied for admission to Harvard College in 1930. 987 were admitted, it was announced recently by the Committee on Admissions. This is an increase of 18 men over last year when 1215 sought admittance to the College and 969 were accepted.

The policy of the Admissions office is to advise high school and preparatory school students who wish to enter Harvard to enter by the New Plan rather than the Old Plan, and to discourage, if possible, those who wish to enter under the provisions of the "Highest Seventh" plan. The latter method was designed for those who, because of location, are unable to take College Board examinations. Figures show that this year 483 New Plan candidates were admitted against 381 last year, while the Old Plan men admitted numbered 383 in 1930 and 441 in 1929. There was a similar decrease in the case of those who came in under the "Highest Seventh" Plan. In September only 121 entered by this method instead of 147 last year.

The raising of the requirements for transfer students desiring to come to Harvard has made a change in the number who were actually admitted this year. Before 1930 men were permitted to enter the College after two years in other institutions as provisional Juniors if their marks averaged "C" plus or better. Now only students with honors received of one-half "A's" and one-half "B's" are admitted as provisional Juniors. The rest must register as provisional Sophomores. In 1929 the provisional Juniors admitted were 53 and this year only 9 came in The provisional Sophomores numbered 61 last year and 53 in 1930 No transfer students were rejected this year while 3 were not permitted to enter in 1929.