Faculty Salaries Substantially Raised Under New 1930 Scale

Maximum for Full Professorship Now $12000--Adjust Budget to Provide Change

Harvard professors, beginning in the present academic year, receive an increase in salary ranging from $500 to $2000 in the case of full professors, it was announced yesterday at University Hall.

First Since 1920

This change, the first in 10 years, and one of the most important events of the decade for University professors, was effected last June, when the Corporation established the following regular scale of salaries for officers of instruction who are members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences: professors: $8,000 minimum to $12,000 maximum; associate professors: $6,000 minimum to $7,000 maximum; assistant professors: $4,000 minimum to $5,500 maximum; instructors: maximum $3,000.

Budget System

The last change in salaries, when the maximum for a full professor was established as $10,000, came in 1920, when the increase was given "in view of the rise in the cost of living." The new scale was made possible by adjustments worked out under the University's budget system, according to yesterday's official announcement.

The move is in keeping with the general upward trend of professorial salaries evidenced particularly among the newer universities of the west and middle west. Other eastern colleges have taken up the move in addition to Harvard. Announcement was made yesterday that Princeton had been left $500,000 to be used for increases in salaries of faculty members. In the official announcement from University Hall there was no mention of the comparative incomes at Harvard under the new standard in relation to those of professors in other colleges