THE FOREIGN LEGION

The position of a foreign student at any university is difficult. Barred from society through lack of acquaintanceships, and from American entertainment by taste, he is frequently left a little bewildered and entirely alone. At Harvard, because of its vast size, he may be completely disregarded. The Phillips Brooks House, realizing this danger, has established a committee to direct the welfare of the foreigner. It has made arrangements to bring the visiting students together, and what is far more vital, it has made possible contacts between Americans and Europeans.

The importance of this step can not be overemphasized. Most foreigners are honor students who are here to learn somthing about American thought and culture. It is for the benefit of the United States that they take home with them a favorable impression of both, while for students at Harvard these friendships represent as necessary a part of their education as the courses they study. And the discussions by these men of various nationalities will at least do as much to establish mutual understanding and accord as the peace pacts, and disarmament conferences of their respective governments.