THE LITTLE MARINE

The letter printed below on the Military and Naval Science courses in Harvard goes very close to the heart of the subject. In pleading for these courses the writer admits their non-academic character, but he argues for their general educational value, comparing it with undergraduate journalism. It is this comparison of Military and Naval Science with extra-curricular activities that distinguishes them from the other courses in the University. There is as much justification for an extra-curricular military organization, for those who feel that military training is necessary for their life preparation, as there is for a socialist club or a college humorous publication.

The objection to the present status of Military and Naval Science is that it offers no contribution to the liberal arts education. Its only conceivable place in the University is among the purely extra-curricular activities. The purpose of the college curriculum is to provide men with training in the sciences and humanities that give a balanced back-ground to life.

To permit one fourth of the time theoretically assigned to acquiring this back-ground to be spent in non-academic work is to destroy the balance between curricular and extra-curricular education. Military and Naval Science do not merit college credit.