SUMMER STUDENTS WILL LIVE IN YARD

501 Students Registered Against 452 in 1929--English Composition is Most Popular

According to a report on the Harvard Summer School, issued by P. P. Chase '00, director, the past summer was the last one in which members of the school will use the Freshman Dormitories. When these dormitories are included in the House Plan next summer they will be used only for that purpose.

Next summer the students in the Summer School are to be assigned rooms in the Yard Dormitories and will take their meals at the Harvard Union. This will bring the whole Summer School in much closer touch with the rest of the University plant, nearer to the Widener Library, the various laboratories, the lecture halls, and to the offices of the Graduate School of Education.

Largest Enrollment Ever

The 1930 Summer School showed the largest enrollment in Arts and Sciences in its history. Last summer 501 students were registered in this department against 452 the preceeding season. This gain in the Arts and Sciences was partially offset by a decline in enrollment in the School of Education and of Physical Education. The percentage of men in the School increased, and of these, the number of school superintendents has diminished. Indications pointed to a larger enrollment than actually took place, as the continued financial depression apparently caused a considerable number to cancel their reservations.

Increase of Falling Students

As a result of Dean Hanford's policy of prescribing Summer School work rather than business jobs for tests of fitness for readmission the number of College and Engineering School students with deficient records who registered in the summer courses increased over the preceeding summer. In 1930 there were 176 such students, in 1929 173, but in 1928 there were 197. Undergraduates in good standing increased by four students last summer when 134 were entered, but this is less than the two preceeding years.

In point of enrollment for certified credit the greatest number were found in courses in English composition, followed by Applied Psychology. An introductory course in Psychology certified 50 and a course in History of the South From 1607 to 1865 showed an enrollment of 48.

Chances in Departments

Of the several departments the most notable changes occurred in increased number in Anthropology, Fine Arts, and Mathematics, while among the courses in Education those on Guidance, Social Policy and Education. Educational Psychology, Principles of Teaching, and the Teaching of English and the largest enrollments. In Physical Education for the first time in several years a substantial group registered as candidates for the Ed. Adm. degree with major emphasis on Physical Education. The general quality of the work has been raised and the courses selected with a view to the current demand for teachers in schools and colleges, as well as for the purpose of providing graduate students from other institutions and Harvard the opportunity to complete their programs in essential subjects.