VIBRATION COURSE NOW BEING GIVEN

Head Professor is Assisted by Two Lecturers--Much Teaching Given on Subject in Europe

A new course on vibration problems, as they arise in the design of machines, and in the construction of high buildings, ships and aircraft, is being offered at the Harvard Engineering School this year, it was announced at Pierce Hall.

In charge of the course is Professor A. E. Norton, of the Engineering School, assisted by the two lecturers, Jesse Omondroyd of the Westinghouse Electric Manufacturing Company research Laboratory at Schenectady, and A. L. Kimball '14, of the General Electric Company Research Laboratory at Schenectady.

Open to Graduates

The course, which is open to graduate engineers as well as undergraduates in the School, is a movement on the part of the Harvard Engineering School intended to acquaint its students with an understanding of the physical and mathematical basis of mechanical vibration, so that they may handle the problems related to the ever increasing size, speed, and power now developing in the engineering world. Vibration problems are growing in importance in the design of high-speed machinery, but the problem has been neglected in most American engineering schools, although well established in the Institutions of Europe.

Technical literature on mechanical vibration is very extensive in Germany and to a lesser extent in England, but American Engineers have been interested in vibration problems only for a little over 10 years. Problems in this field are not limited to the design of machines but are met with in the vibrations of high buildings and other large structures