Embryo Scientists Will Have Chance to Aid in Photographing Leonid Meteors in Annual Shower--Display Lasts Three Days

An opportunity for amateurs to be of service to science will come late tomorrow evening or early Saturday or Sunday mornings, when the annual shower of Leonid meteors will be visible, it was stated yesterday by Dr. W. J. Fisher, of the Harvard Observatory.

"If a man wants to do a service to science." Dr. Fisher explained, "he should first familiarize himself with the sickle in the constellation Leo. which is illustrated in most dictionaries. Choosing some quarter of the sky. (the northeast will probably be the most interesting), he should make observations for half-hour periods, nothing down all the meteors he sees, and distinguishing between the meteors in Leo and those in other parts of the quarter. Reports of such observations will be of real value."

Observers are urged to contribute their findings to the observatory, which will transmit all information to the Flower Observatory in Pennsylvania, center of research on meteors.

Several students in Astronomy I have volunteered their assistance on Friday night, it was learned at the Observatory yesterday. They will report early in the evening on Friday and will be kept busy at the Observatory in making various observations and doing other necessary work. Owing to the fact that members of the Observatory staff expect to be kept extremely busy over the week-end the building will decisively not be open to visitors.

The Leonid meteors, advance guards of a main swarm which appears three times a century, should be looked for in the eastern part of the sky. The shower may last three or four nights. Dr. Fisher stated, and pictures will be taken at the observatory to determine the speed of the meteors and whether they are pieces of a live or dead planet. On November 16, 1929 about ten Leonids were counted during three of the early morning hours.